Incoming Student Checklist
Welcome to the Penn State Smeal MBA Program!
2015 Incoming Student Checklist
- Complete the Penn State Smeal MBA Enrollment Form. (Today)
- http://php.smeal.psu.edu/mba/enroll $1,000 Enrollment Deposit will be refunded to you by October of your 1st semester.
- Housing Information - This should be the first thing you do. Housing can be very difficult to find as the school year approaches. It is imperative that you find housing quickly.
- Discussion Boards/Social Media - The place to get in touch with other incoming students and find a roommate or get other information on the best place for you to live.
- 2015 Laptop Recommendations - Students entering the MBA Program are required to have their own laptop for coursework. Students must have their laptop in hand by the first day of Orientation.
- Submit your FAFSA application for Federal Student Aid. Do this whether or not you intend to secure a loan as it is required for any scholarships or payments in the Penn State system.
- Once you have enrolled, the Office of Global Programs will be in contact with you about completing your Visa Application, providing copies of financial statements and an Affidavit of Support (if applicable). Eventually, the Office of Global Programs will issue you an I-20, which you will need to have to acquire your visa. If you have any questions you can email the Office of Global Programs at International@psu.edu.
- International Student Information - View important information that pertains specifically to international students.
- Details on the Pre-Term Accounting Program ALEKS is available in an upcoming edition of the Monday Message.
- Registration for Graduate Students will be held on June 22. It is advised that you attempt to register early in the offering as tickets have been known to sell out quickly.
- For more information, view the Penn State Athletics Student Central page.
- Expenses and Billing - Tuition rates for the upcoming school year will be updated in July. Check back for more updated information.
- Health Insurance - Penn State University offers health insurance for all students. For general information about Penn State Student Health Insurance, go to the University Health Services Website. Rates for the upcoming school year are typically updated in July.
- Registration will be held online through the Transportation website. The registration date for fall parking registration has yet to be announced. We will provide more information once it is made available.
- Course Materials - During the summer, you can enter your course information into the Penn State Bookstore's website for the most up-to-date list of textbooks. Keep in mind that faculty members can order textbooks for their courses throughout the summer, so be sure to check back over the summer months for the most up-to-date information. Upon your arrival on campus, you can visit the Penn State Bookstore for a comprehensive list of textbooks and course materials required. You can swipe your Penn State ID+ card at the Bookstore to get a list of your required materials.
- During the summer, we will ask you to submit a photo and complete an enrollment information survey.
- Orientation activities are required. You will have a busy schedule during Orientation. See our Orientation page to view a past agenda in order to get an idea of what Orientation is like.
- Transportation To and Within the University - Check out various options for traveling around campus.
- As you arrive on campus, stop at the HUB and have your photo taken for your Penn State ID Card.
- On-Campus Information and Resources - View the resources available to you at University Park.
- Local Area Information and Resources - See what the area has to offer as you arrive in State College.
- What to Pack
- To Do Map
- Course and Registration Information - Once you have setup your Penn State Access Account, you will need to complete your registration through eLion. We will be sure to keep you informed and provide pertinent information and instructions as the time to complete your registration approaches.
The MBA Office will register you for your fall 2015 classes by early August. Fall 2015 Tuition bills are prepared once you are registered. An email will be sent to your official University e-mail account announcing that the eBill is available to review and/or pay but only after you activate your Penn State Access Account. The due date is approximately 2-3 weeks from the date the bill is prepared. Complete details can be found on the Bursar’s website.
Note: The $1,000 tuition deposit will be credited to your account after you begin the program. Do not expect the $1,000 to appear on your initial semester bill. Typically the credit will be issued by late-September. Additionally you will be assessed program fees in the amount of $200 (for orientation activities and the communications course) – these fees are also assessed after you begin the program. We make every attempt to coordinate the post of the $200 in conjunction with the $1,000 deposit credit.
- More details regarding the PCS Process are available in the May 18th Monday Message. The PCS and Resume are due on June 15th.
- Also, look for the Student Services Weekly Messages and letters throughout the summer as new and vital information becomes available.