Welcome to the Penn State Smeal MBA Program!
WELCOME and congratulations on your admission to the Penn State Smeal MBA Program. The next two years will be an exciting and enriching time for all of you. While we are sure you are looking forward to furthering your education with us, we also realize that embarking on this new adventure is met with a certain amount of anxiousness. Moving to a new area and navigating the world of academia can, at first, seem quite overwhelming. This is why we have created this site for you -- a site designed to provide a wide range of detail on university resources, State College and the surrounding community, commonly referred to as “Happy Valley.” Please be sure to consult the checklist below to determine what should be completed prior to your arrival. Additionally, as time progresses, please be sure to continually check this site as details regarding our mandatory orientation program are posted.
2016 Incoming Student Checklist
- Complete the Penn State Smeal MBA Enrollment Form. (Today)
- Find a place to live. (As soon as you enroll)
- Housing Information - This should be the first thing you do. Housing can be very difficult to find as the school year approaches. It is imperative that you find housing quickly.
- Discussion Boards/Social Media - The place to get in touch with other incoming students and find a roommate or get other information on the best place for you to live.
- Purchase your laptop. (June)
- 2015 Laptop Recommendations - Students entering the MBA Program are required to have their own laptop for coursework. Students must have their laptop in hand by the first day of Orientation. More details will be available soon about new requirements for the upcoming 2016-2017 academic year.
- Submit your FAFSA (US Students Only). (As soon as you enroll)
- Submit your FAFSA application for Federal Student Aid. Do this whether or not you intend to secure a loan as it is required for any scholarships or payments in the Penn State system.
- Apply for your I-20 (International Students Only). (As soon as you enroll)
- Once you have enrolled, the Office of Global Programs will be in contact with you about completing your Visa Application, providing copies of financial statements and an Affidavit of Support (if applicable). Eventually, the Office of Global Programs will issue you an I-20, which you will need to have to acquire your visa. If you have any questions you can email the Office of Global Programs at International@psu.edu.
- International Student Information - View important information that pertains specifically to international students.
- Begin Accounting Pre-Work (July)
- Details on the Pre-Term Accounting Program will be available closer to summer 2016.
- Purchase Football Tickets (June)
- Registration for Graduate Students is typically held in June of each year. It is advised that you attempt to register early in the offering as tickets have been known to sell out quickly.
- For more information, view the Penn State Athletics Student Central page.
- Estimate your expenses and learn about billing (July)
- Expenses and Billing - Tuition rates for the upcoming school year will be updated in July 2016. Check back for more updated information.
- Review and understand health insurance requirements. (July)
- Register your vehicle. (August)
- Registration is held online through the Transportation website. The registration date for fall parking registration is typically in August. The exact dates will be provided closer to summer 2016.
- Purchase your textbooks. (June - August)
- Course Materials - During the summer, you can enter your course information into the Penn State Bookstore's website for the most up-to-date list of textbooks. Keep in mind that faculty members can order textbooks for their courses throughout the summer, so be sure to check back over the summer months for the most up-to-date information. Upon your arrival on campus, you can visit the Penn State Bookstore for a comprehensive list of textbooks and course materials required. You can swipe your Penn State ID+ card at the Bookstore to get a list of your required materials.
- Complete your Enrollment Information Survey and send in your photo. (June)
- During the summer, we will ask you to submit a photo and complete an enrollment information survey.
- Prepare for Orientation. (Orientation begins Monday, August 8, 2016 and is REQUIRED)
- Orientation activities are required. You will have a busy schedule during Orientation. See our Orientation page to view a past agenda in order to get an idea of what Orientation is like.
- Arrive early to unpack and settle in (Recommended no later than August 6)
- Fall 2016 Course Registration (August)
- Course and Registration Information - Once you have setup your Penn State Access Account, you will need to complete your registration through eLion. We will be sure to keep you informed and provide pertinent information and instructions as the time to complete your registration approaches.
The MBA Office will register you for your Fall 2016 classes by early August. Fall 2016 tuition bills are prepared once you are registered. An email will be sent to your official University e-mail account announcing that the eBill is available to review and/or pay but only after you activate your Penn State Access Account. The due date is approximately 2-3 weeks from the date the bill is prepared. Complete details can be found on the Bursar’s website.
Note: The $1,000 tuition deposit will be credited to your account after you begin the program. Do not expect the $1,000 to appear on your initial semester bill. Typically the credit will be issued by late-September. Additionally you will be assessed program fees in the amount of $200 (for orientation activities and the communications course) – these fees are also assessed after you begin the program. We make every attempt to coordinate the post of the $200 in conjunction with the $1,000 deposit credit.
- PCS Process Documents (June)
- More details regarding the PCS Process will be available at a later date.
- And, finally, please check back often as this list will continually be updated.